In 2000, British Entrepreneur Peter de Savary founded the Carnegie Abbey Club. His vision was to create an intimate, leisure property where members felt as though they were on their own private estate but equipped with all the amenities of the world's greatest hotels. In 2018, the club was acquired by a group of members who created what is now The Aquidneck Club. The ownership group has made a significant financial investment in a series of key capital improvements projects, signaling the next era for the club and setting a new standard for service excellence.
Originally, Aquidneck Island was home to the Narragansett Indian tribe who called the land the “Isle of Peace.” It was purchased from the tribe in 1638 and inhabited by the nation’s first English settlers who, after fleeing from persecution, secured religious tolerance in what is now the city of Portsmouth by collectively signing a contract guaranteeing their freedom. In 1647, it was the site of the first assembly for the Colony, then consisting of the towns of Portsmouth, Newport, Providence, and Warwick. Stone walls on the Club’s property designate the boundaries of the original colonial land grants. The island remained an idyllic center for agriculture, shipping and commerce until the colonial revolution, when it was occupied primarily by British forces. On August 19, 1778, The 'Battle of Quaker Hill' was fought on what are now the 7th & 8th holes. Historical landmarks can be seen throughout the course as a reminder of historical sites the club occupies.